The EuroGEO secretariat will be strengthening GEO-related coordination mechanisms at European and national levels. The focus will be on supporting increased innovation, space application development and the reinforcement of a space data ecosystem concept within Europe, whilst pursuing international cooperation to help stimulate the market and promote European technology and services. The EuroGEO secretariat will be contributing to the European Green Deal objectives by further deploying and exploiting the use of environmental observations and to a strengthened Global Earth Observation System of Systems (GEOSS)
More specifically, the secretariat will provide:
- Support to the EuroGEO community, including supporting and cooperating with the EuroGEO Action Groups, on innovation and services and where possible link with existing and future the GEO/EuroGEO infrastructure components;
- Establishment of organisational support, e.g., coordination of EuroGEO communication activities and events. This includes the increase of synergies among EU funded projects in the context of environmental observations and other topics related to EuroGEO, providing a solid base for evidence-informed allocation of EU research funding through sound monitoring of ongoing research funding activities in Europe and beyond;
- A more developed and better monitored execution of the EuroGEO Implementation Plan in the GEO Work Programme and visibility and exposure to European lead Flagships and Initiatives in the global GEO WP - linking their thematic products and services to relevant European Policy priorities. This includes support to preparing the contribution of EuroGEO to the next GEO Strategic Plan covering the period post-2025;
- Assistance to the development of a sustainability concept for the EuroGEO initiative;
- Further developed research policies, guidelines and where possible standards in close relation with the EC Knowledge Centre on Earth Observation;
The EuroGEO secretariat will prepare the transition of the existing EuroGEO initiative into a sustainable endeavour.
More specifically, the secretariat will:
- Further strengthen and promote the three EuroGEO priorities: combining, cooperating and coordinating;
- Serve as the basis for evidence-informed allocation of research funding by monitoring ongoing research funding activities in Europe and beyond;
- Provide professional support in organising EuroGEO events and meetings of EuroGEO bodies (Coordination Group and Action Groups);
- Guide the dialogue with relevant stakeholders and initiatives and (further) build connections, including raising awareness of and interest in the EuroGEO initiative.
The organisational and logistical support of the secretariat will maximise the unique and long-term impact of EuroGEO by strengthening Europe's leading role in the successful deployment of Earth Observation applications in the global context.
EuroGEO Workshop 2023
EuroGEO Workshop 2023 has concluded, leaving a lasting impact on the landscape of Earth Observations and intelligence. Like every year, EuroGEO Workshop successfully brought together diverse perspectives, aligning European initiatives with the visionary post-2025 strategy of the Group on Earth Observations (GEO).
Hosted in Bolzano/Bozen, Italy, at Eurac Research, the workshop provided a fertile ground for coordination and interlinking of actions at national and European levels.
Discover more about the results of the event and the new challenges ahead HERE.